Why we do what we do . . .
- An estimated 797,500 children are reported missing each year. In 40% of the stereotypical kidnapping cases (cases of non-family abduction), the child was killed.
- In one year alone, 896,000 children were determined to be victimes of child abuse and neglect. This is one child every 35 seconds.
- There is one sexual offender for every square mile in the United States. A typical offender will abuse 30 to 60 children before they are arrested.
- 1 in 5 girls will be molested before they are 18.
- 1 in 6 boys will be molested before they are 18.
- 90% will be molested by someone they know.
- 1 in 5 will be bullied on the Internet.
- There are registered sex offenders in every neighborhood. Go to www.familywatchdog.us to check your neighborhood or your child's school.
- Internet social networking and cell phone texting have presented new problems among teenagers who do not understand the ramifications of improper information sharing.